Sunday, November 22, 2009

NO SHEP! NO SHEP! NO SHEP!....ughhhhhh

These were the words heard approximately 3 am on the first night of our camping weekend...They were uttered by our friend Bob seconds before Shep was sprayed at point blank range by a skunk. Those skunks, wow, do they smell! Fortunately, Caleb, Josiah and I were sound asleep in a nice cozy camper during this unfortunate fiasco and didn't know anything about it until morning. Instead our friends who did sleep outside got the pleasure of hosing him down and banishing him to as far-away location as possible (because he obviously smelled horrid) but that was near enough that he wouldn't whine all night...an impossible task to be sure. Poor Shep: The smelly kid no one wants to hang out with!


To be fair, Rocky would have been there trying to eat the skunk right along with Shep but his leash was too short.



Josiah loves camping! Well, he certainly loves being outside. It will really be fun when he actually knows he is camping and he can run around and enjoy the outdoors. We had planned to really rough it, but didn't plan wel enough for that, so several days before we left we changed plans from Sedona to Canyon Lake. Canyon Lake is about 20 minutes from home and is basically a huge RV parking lot in front of a lake.

As you can see, our "campsite" was complete with picnic tables, a lawn, and a camper! Not really roughing it, but a good first camping experience for a 4-month-old. We ended up feeling pretty thankful for the use of a camper!
"crash landing " is one of our favorite games. I love to hear Josiah giggle!

Traci and Si



Bob and Bethany around our campfire. It was the coldest weekend of the season so far...I won't mention the actual temperature, or we will sound like wimps, but we desert folk were thankful for a good campfire none-the-less.

We had planned to go hiking all day Saturday but after a night of no sleep, we opted for naps and relaxing around the campfire all day long...it was wonderful! For most the group the lack of sleep was due to Shep's skunking...for me, it was because I slept in bed with the most violent-sleeping four-month-old ever who tried to snuggle with me all night! Don't get me wrong, those early mornings that we bring Si into our bed at home are some of my favorite moments. But all night with him was a horrible combination of being afraid that I might roll-over on him and him trying to roll-over on me! I could never have a family bed.

Bethany and Si



Joan and Loren and Si

This was the most activity that happened on Saturday...and the girls didn't even play.


Josiah wore socks on his hands all wekend bacause it's hard to find baby mittens in Arizona.



Parker also got skunked by proximity, and although he took like three showers on Sunday, none of them necessitated tomato juice.

Poor Shep!

4 comments:

MaryJane said...

Even though I've heard this story, I'm laughing out loud--the pictures are great. Probably just woke your dad...oh well! I'm really missing my Si-guy. Just 3 and a half weeks until I get to hold him again. Miss you guys.

Carolyn said...

I had a moment last week where I thought it would be fun to go camping (the first time I've thought that in the last 2 1/2 years). But now you've reminded me that no, it will not be fun to go camping for a few years yet. I refuse to camp with a baby! Although, I would be willing to do what you guys did, and take an RV somewhere... maybe.

MaryJane said...

I just love those little chubby thighs! Bring that boy to me!

Caleb and Anna Fields said...

Only a few weeks to go...December 17th, here we come!