We are in Washington! Due to our own ignorance and lack of detail orientation we had a less-than-perfect start to our vacation. It was a comedy of errors really, the kind that you choose to laugh through gritted teeth so that you don't break down in tears! To preface all of this airing-the-dirty-laundry, I do have to say that this was not the first time we'd traveled with Josiah. We went to Texas with him when he was 8 weeks old and packed perfectly. We had no trouble at all, forgot nothing, made no messes and inconvenienced no one; I think we got a little cocky for trip #2.
Here goes (I've numbered them so we don't lose count):
1. On Thursday morning, before we flew out, we made one last mall trip to get a specific present we had not been able to find anywhere else. We purchased the gift then stopped by American Eagle to grab Caleb a new pair of jeans before the trip. We were running a little short on time so Caleb didn't even try on the jeans, he bought them while I took one last work call and we headed home. It wasn't until we were ready to leave the house for the airport that we realized we didn't have the games. Caleb left them at on the counter at American Eagle. Really short on time at this point, we made a second trip to the mall before our flight.
2. Running late, we dropped Shep off at our friend's house and got to the airport. We parked and ran in. Well, we didn't run in because we were carrying a baby in the bjorne, 3 suitcases, a car seat and base, a stroller, a backpack, a purse and a diaper bag. But none the less, we got inside quickly and then did run through the gate when the airlines staff yelled "come on, you're the last one on. I'm closing the door." Thankfully she said that to us and to the other few stragglers with kids and gear.
3. We had a great flight but were seated in the bulkhead, the front seat, so our bags had to be stored in a seperate compartment. We got to WA and got off the plane to meet our family. As soon as we got back through the security point we realized we left the bjorne on the plane. Caleb had to go find airlines staff to run back out to the plane to get it.
4. So after all that, we were hungry. Mom and Dad took us to Anthony's. We had a great dinner and then started our 1 1/2 hour drive to Yakima. We drove for a half hour when I realized I forgot my purse at the restaurant! What? I guess my only excuse is that I use either a diaper bag or a purse, not both. Sigh.
5. Finally we arrived at my parents' home in Yakima. We started to unpack: first bag contained all of Josiah's rise cereal which of course broke open and spilled rice-confetti all over everything in the suitecase.
6. Second bag. I unpacked the monitor and realized that I had only packed the parent's end, and left the part that watches the kiddo conveniently on his crib at home. Huh.
So Thursday was a rocky start! On Friday we re-packed one bag for all three of us and headed out to Tacoma. Our plan was to visit several friends and family over the weekend before returning to my parents house for an entire week. We had a great time, but...
7. Caleb forgot to pack underwear
8. and although I packed at least 10 onsies and 2 pairs of pajamas for Josiah for a 48 hour period, he either puked or pooped on ALL of them before we got him home. Seriously, we had to pick up a new pack of onsies for our naked baby on the way home.
All in all, I think we will be lucky to make it home in one piece. Thank you, Lord for grace and laughter.
One huge blessing is that we got to spend time with some of our favorite people in the world! Here are some pictures of our trip so far.
Our nieces Claire and Isabelle with thier new cousin, Baby Josiah.
We also stopped by and had dinner with our friends Brooke and Jeramy and their two girls Madison and Ashley. Look at these cuties; holding hands...Si's got a thing for the ladies. Look at those eyes :)
Here is Josiah at Caleb's parent's house just after he pooped through his last outfit. Quite the pair, my husband without undies and my son with only undies!
Caleb's mom, Becky with her first grandson.
Finally back to my parent's home. Si is loving all this time with Mooma and Papa! He has a little cold but is doing just fine. As you can see, he is taking in everything around him and loving all the attention.
My sweet husband is still wearing shorts and t-shirts even though there is snow outside! We are loving the relaxation that being in the presence of family and friends brings! Now, bring on Christmas!