Thursday, May 28, 2009

Si's First Party


Our first baby shower! Caleb and I flew home a couple of weekends ago for our very first baby shower with family and friends from the Northwest! It was a
quick trip and a lot of plane and car travel to reach our destination (my parents
house), but so worth it! We were blessed to spend time with both Caleb's and my
sides of the family as well as some great friends.

Of course, we jumped on the plane without our camera and had then, no pictures to document our trip, thankfully my mother and Becky came through for us...the

only problem is that I had to download them from a Kodak website which apparently only allowed me to save mini-pics....so happy looking if you can actually see any of these. If you can't tell, we had a great time. Some of you may
recognize yourselved in these, but maybe not! One of my friends here in AZ commented about how savy I must be with computers to figure out how to blog

and add pictures, etc....well FYI, you don't really have to know anything at all about computers or uploading or downloading anything...just somtimes you end up with mini-pics and weird spaces that someone smarter or with more time probably could figure our how to rectify. But not me, I am fine with mediocrity! So blog away folks, it's easy!

So here is the quick recap of our crazy weekend to WA...Caleb and I love to fly, mainly I think, because of the expectation and excitment of traveling in general.
So on Thursday, early in the morning we drove to the airport and excitedly got our lattes at the airport which always signifies the beginning of any trip. Then we
sat on two different planes for a total of...all day...before landing in Seattle. Got in just in time to meet Caleb's family and had a fabulous dinner with them!
Unfortunately, Thursday night, I had a HORRIBLE allergy attack which consisted of lots of misery, the inability to breathe and unfortunately quite a lot of benadryl. I
mention this just to fill you in on what I believe was probably my first failure as a
mother: I know benadryl is on the "somewhat safe list" for pregnancy, but I also realize that pregnancy-safe, with any drug really just means that drugging your baby is better than both of us dying due to lack of oxygen in my lungs.
It was a terrible experience when at 4 am I was popping my third benadryl of the night and sobbing to Caleb about the perminent damage I was likley causing to our child. It was a tad over the top in the hormonally crazy department, but really only a fairly average glimpse into my hormonal mood swings lately! I thought for much of this pregnancy that I was handling it all in stride, but about a month ago my hormones and emotional state went crazy and even I could easily recognize that I've slipped into some sort of weird psychotic pregnancy world of crying...all the time for no reason.
Anyway, after Thursday night, Josiah was definatly moving less, or at least it seemed that way to me, so whether or not I put him in a little baby coma, I am sure that anytime in his life anything goes wrong, I will blame it on the benadryl.
(or whatever I do next to inadvertantly tramatize my child).

But Friday came and baby eventually woke up and our little family drove to Yakima! We had a great time with my family, Case and Jarrad and the girls came with another good friend of ours from Tacoma and we girls took my mother out on the town for mothers day on Friday night!

We had the shower on Saturday complete with some silly games in which groups of my family and friends creatively made up songs about my growing family to the tune of "Old McDonald had a Farm" Some of my favorite lines were...
"Here a labor, there a labor, everywhere a labor, labor" "...will Shep end up in the
pound?" and "with some breast pads here and some fresh wipes there..."
It was a very entertaining game by the way.

After the shower, we let the boys come back and BBQ for us all! A great day and wonderful for us to get to share two great parties in one day with all of you who we see so rarely.

Sadly, on Sunday it was back to Seattle for another day of travel and back to work on Monday...but at least we will always have these tiny pictures to remember Josiah's first party!

3 comments:

The Butorac's said...

I love it! I am the same way when it comes to computer stuff - I do what I can, but if it doesn't come out the way I want, I either leave it as it is or turn it over to my computer genius husband to handle :-)
My hormones have been totally out of whack as well. I, like you, thought I was doing pretty well until we were driving back from Yakima one evening and I was trying to eat Taco Bell in the car and ended up with Burrito sauce all over my shirt. It is not uncommon for me to spill things on my clothes, and usually it is a big joke between Tony and I, but that night I just LOST it. We were going to a party and I was so upset that I would have to change my shirt and I didn't really have any maternity clothes at the time so nothing fit, and on and on and on. I ended up crying so hard that I ruined my makeup and well. So, not only did I have to change my clothes, I had to wash my face and reapply my makeup. It is almost comical the things that upset me these days - hormones are crazy things!
It was so great to see you at the shower and I hope you continue to feel well!

MaryJane said...

I'm laughing out loud about the tiny pictures. I thought I read that Kodak Gallery let you download full-size pics. I'll check it out. Either way, I'll bring a CD with me next week!

Love you guys!

MaryJane said...

OK, I checked. You have to be logged in as me. Let me know if you want to download the bigger ones. I think I can trust you with my password!